Configuring Windows 8.1
From Microsoft Press
We’re pleased to announce the availability of Exam Ref 70-687: Configuring Windows 8.1 (9780735684775), by Joli Ballew.
Purchase from these online retailers:
Barnes & Noble
Independent booksellers – Shop local
Informit.com – from Pearson, our official distributor
Description Fully updated for Windows 8.1! Prepare for Microsoft Exam 70-687 - and help demonstrate your real-world mastery of configuring Windows 8.1 in the enterprise. Designed for experienced IT professionals ready to advance their status, Exam Ref focuses on the critical-thinking and decision-making acumen needed for success at the MCSA or MCSE level.
Focus on the expertise measured by these objectives:
· Install and upgrade to Windows 8.1
· Configure hardware and applications
· Configure network connectivity
· Configure access to resources
· Configure remote access and mobility
· Monitor and maintain Windows clients
· Configure backup and recovery options
This Microsoft Exam Ref:
· Organizes its coverage by objectives for Exam 70-687.
· Features strategic, what-if scenarios to challenge you.
· Designed for IT professionals who have real-world experience configuring or supporting Windows 8.1 computers, devices, users, and associated network and security resources.
Note: Exam 70-687 counts as credit toward MCSA and MCSE certifications
About the Author
Joli Ballew is a Microsoft MVP for Windows Expert-Consumer. She is a Microsoft Certified Trainer who teaches certification curriculum and she's written more than 50 books, including Windows 8.1 Step by Step.
I purchased this two weeks ago in paperback and on Kindle for my Surface, along with the 70-687 Lab manual. Great read so far and they have really been helpful. Found a couple things already that weren't covered in previous exam guide materials I have purchased.
The book has lots of errata (see the post in this forum where I'm collecting it)
I purchased and read the Exam Ref 70-687: Configuring Windows 8.1 book. I highly recommend it. As with all material you must practice with hands on experience to make the most from this study guide.
I passed the exam last Friday having read the above book. It covers all of the relevant areas, but it didn't go into nearly enough detail about some of the functionality and technicalities in 70-687.
I've been using and supporting W8.1 for several months and only just passed, the lesson is that if you want to be sure of passing the exam then you certainly need to do more than just read through the exam book (but I suppose thats the point - the exam is to prove understanding, not just knowledge).