Special Notes when instructing course 20346A

• Let me introduce myself. I work for the Microsoft Learning Experience (LeX) team that developed 20346A. Several items came to our attention as a result of the recent beta class that MCTs should take note of prior to running 20346A.

First off, it is incumbent that any MCT planning to instruct this course must read the Error Log that is on the MCT Download Center. This errata contains a number of fixes that you will need to be aware of in order to successfully complete the labs.

That being said, there are a couple of items in the error log that are of particular interest that I want to call attention to here.

• When the Module 11 Lab Answer Key (LAK) was published, the publishing process inadvertently skipped Exercise 1, task 14, and all of Exercise 2.  This did not come to our attention until the beta class. To correct this, we recently published a new mod 11 LAK that contains all of the lab steps, including these missing tasks, and we placed a zip file that contains the updated pdf out on the MCT DLC.

Please download 20346A_revised_LAK_11.zip from the MCT DLC. Unzip this file to access the 20346A_LAK_11.pdf file and either print it out for students, or copy it to the students’ host machines. Students will NOT be able to complete the mod 11 lab unless they use this revised version of the LAK.

• The original course syllabus contained the following Note: 

Note: Students need an Azure account to complete the course. You can either use an existing account or trial account (as long as it expires after the course end date), or you can sign up for an Azure trial account during the day 1 lab. If you plan to sign up for an Azure trial account during the lab, you must have a credit card and cell phone to complete your account registration. Credits provided to Azure trial accounts are sufficient to cover course usage. As for Office 365, do not provision an Office 365 tenant in advance. The Office 365 tenant will be provisioned as part of the labs.

During the beta, we identified an issue where the Azure Trial signup site refused to accept multiple trial requests from same classroom IP address. This caused enough churn in the class that we have amended the Note on the syllabus as follows:

NOTE: Students need an Azure account that supports 8 VM cores in order to complete the course. You can either use an existing account or trial account (as long as it expires after the course end date and supports 8 cores). You must obtain your Azure account BEFORE coming to class. Do not expect to sign up for an Azure trial account during the course. Credits provided to Azure trial accounts are sufficient to cover course usage. Do not provision an Office 365 tenant in advance. The Office 365 tenant will be provisioned as part of the class.

If students show up for class without an Azure account, you will need to accommodate them and perform the existing Mod 1 Lab A instructions to create their trial account. To mitigate the issue that we ran into at the beta, students can use their laptops to submit their trial account requests. Hopefully, Learning Centers will be aware of this recommended policy change and ensure that students come to class with their Azure accounts already secured.

• When the training manual content was converted to digital format, the conversion process inadvertently inserted random line breaks within the content (usually at the start of a topic, near the thumbnail image of the slide), and did not include some existing line breaks. Where this was most problematic was during some of the lab steps. Of special note is the lab in Module 6, Exercise 1, Task 6, Step 59. There are four commands here – each line should start with the $enableusers string. The hard line breaks do not appear in the Skillpipe reader. Again, review the error log for a complete list of issues such as this. Due to a new publishing process that we will be implementing shortly, we will not have to worry about conversion errors such as this when the B version of the course is published in June.

• We recently ran across a strange issue with the lab in Module 7, Exercise 4, Task 4. In this task, the students create a new shared mailbox for Contoso’s Marketing Dept. using the EAC, and students assign Send As permission to several fictitious user accounts. The students then log on as one of these accounts and then send a message from the Marketing Dept. to their own external email address. The fictitious user’s email address resolves OK, but when the students click Send, they get a message saying that the user does not have permission to send the email, even though the student just assigned Send As permission to the user account.

Now, this lab worked fine in all internal testing, in the beta, and in most classes that have run 20346A. But what we just discovered is that this error occurs when there is a deleted shared mailbox for the Marketing Dept. in the recycle bin.

So if students experience this Send permission problem when sending mail as the Marketing shared mailbox, they should verify if there is a deleted shared Marketing mailbox in the recycle bin, and if so, they should delete it. To delete this shared mailbox, use the Windows Azure Active Directory connection with Heidi Leitner’s credentials as set up in Exercise 1, Task 4, Steps 1-6.

At the Windows Azure Active Directory PowerShell window, type the following command and press ENTER:

Get-MsolUser –ReturnDeletedUsers.

The list should show an entry for marketing@lucernepublishingXXX.onmicrosoft.com, where xxx is the student’s unique Lucerne Publishing number.

Type the following command on one line and press ENTER:

Remove-MsolUser –UserPrincipalName marketing@lucernepublishingXXX.onmicrosoft.com –RemoveFromRecycleBin –Force

(where xxxxx is the student’s lab domain)

The student should now be able to run the Exercise 4, Task 4.

• Sir,

Can anyone tell me How many questions generally i would get in MTA .NET Exam.I would like a detailed information about the types of questions.Are they really only MCQ questions!

Thanks Aniruddha

• Hi!

Any tip about problems with o365ready.com?? the domains dont work in my class.

Isa

• @Tony Frink. Thanks for your info, but I really wonder why you put the info here and not in the MCT forum, where it belongs. I believe this info is for MCT's only, not for our students also.

• I  took this instructor led class 2 weeks ago, and it was a mess. From not being able to sign up, to the DNS not working right from our labs with the o365ready.com domain, and the worst part about, is

* People need to make sure they use there REAL phone number when signing up for Azure. After all the issues at the start, we had 3 people that had there Azure trials canceled. I guess the Azure team tried to call them and could not reach them, so that team just canceled all the VM's on that account. So, now after 3 days of labs, they could no longer access the VM's because they were canceled.

• I've taught this course twice now, and both times, it was a mess. The scripts provided by Microsoft work randomly, most notably the one that installs the Exchange Server 2013. Sometimes it installs all the necessary components, sometimes it doesn't, for no apparent reason.

The second issue I have is with the consecutive nature of the course, which is that most of the labs have to be performed consequently. But if a student had some issues with a previous lab, most times, he can't continue with the next one.

The thing is that with most issues, I feel like I'm not in control. Whether it's Azure, which I wasn't familiar with, prior to this course, or the scripts.

Some questions I have, can one Azure account host multiple virtual computers for multiple students in this course environment? Second, what would be the consequences of trying to run the labs in virtual machines hosted in the local Hyper-V, instead of Azure?