I am looking for some advice on how to prepare for certifications. I want to get an MCSA certification but my challenge is that the Microsoft course are not an option and I cannot get any server experience where I work. How would one go about getting prepared getting ready for these exams with these challenges in mind?
1. Should I use books and Microsoft Virtual Academy / labs?
2. Build a new powerful computer, install Windows 8 to get Hyper-V and build virtual machines for Windows Clients and Servers?
3. All of the above?
4. What books are good?
Thanks for any advice.
1. Purchase the Microsoft Press book when it comes out on August and read it. Don't try to memorize it.
2. Assuming your budget is somewhat limited, I wouldn't spend big bucks on computers. If you don't already have a computer that runs 8.1, just buy a low end laptop. You'll get 75% of what you need and save a lot of money.
3. Purchase the full MeasureUp exam ($99) when they finally update it with 8.1, and take it over and over until you're scoring 100%. This is what you want to memorize. This will take you several months.
4. Wait until Microsoft offers a free retake coupon, so if you fail the test you can take it again for free.
5. The Microsoft tests cover a wide range of areas, but not necessarily deeply. You don't need to be an expert, but you do need to be familiar with the requirements and limitations of all of the various features of 8.1.